A Campaign to Purchase the Talaris Property for a Cutting-Edge Integrative Cancer Research and Healing Center
AN INCOMPLETE CIRCLE OF CANCER CARE
Today, our healthcare system treats the disease of cancer, instead of working to heal the whole person before, during, and after treatment. The result is poorer health outcomes, devastating side effects, and a traumatic experience for millions of people and their families:
- Severe and painful side effects can go unattended.
- The fear and life disruption experienced often goes unacknowledged and unsupported.
- Overall physical and emotional health is deeply compromised, requiring months and years of healing and recovery.
- Re-entry into normal life after treatment is stressful and disorienting.
WHAT IF WE COULD DO BETTER?
THE REVOLUTIONARY POWER OF INTEGRATIVE CANCER CARE
A body of research reveals that when a whole person—body, mind and spirit—is cared for and supported during cancer treatment, their experience and chances of survival are vastly improved. By focusing on healing the whole person:
- Side effects like pain and nausea are reduced.
- Effectiveness of oncological treatment goes up.
- Peace and optimism increase.
- Survival chances are higher with improved immune function.
- Emotional and physical recovery time after treatment is shorter.
- The transition to a “normal” life is smoother.
Integrative cancer care augments traditional cancer treatment with supportive therapies that improve outcomes, immune function, and survival.
Significant scientific evidence supports the use of therapies such as acupuncture, massage, yoga, tai chi, arts, and naturopathic medicine to effectively ameliorate the physical and emotional side effects of cancer treatment. Research has found:
- Acupuncture can help manage treatment related nausea and vomiting in cancer patients.
- Massage therapy may help relieve symptoms such as pain, nausea, and lymphedema.
- Mindfulness-based stress reduction, a type of meditation training, can help cancer patients relieve anxiety, stress, fatigue, and general mood and sleep disturbances, improving their quality of life.
- Yoga may help improve anxiety, depression, and distress in people with cancer. It also may help lessen fatigue in breast cancer patients and survivors.
- Psychosocial intervention among breast cancer patients can reduce the risk of death by as much as 56 percent, as well as improve mood and cancer-relevant biological outcomes.
Despite the research demonstrating their benefits, these therapies sit on the shelf and are not part of standard cancer care. Pharmaceutical companies have the resources to take basic biological research findings from the lab to the bedside, including conducting large scale clinical trials and marketing the new drugs. There is no similar mechanism for getting integrative medicine research findings to the clinic. Thus, most physicians and patients are unaware of the research supporting integrative medicine and these interventions are not part of standard care. Orion wants to change that.
WE HAVE THE RARE OPPORTUNITY TO PRESERVE A COMMUNITY JEWEL AND ACCELERATE THE SPREAD OF INTEGRATIVE CANCER CARE NATIONWIDE
We have the opportunity to purchase the Talaris property to establish a center for the advancement of integrative cancer care. The 18-acre Talaris campus, nestled in the Laurelhurst neighborhood of Seattle, is up for sale. Orion Center for Integrative Medicine in collaboration with allied organizations hopes to preserve this historic property in order to create an integrative cancer research and healing center.
- Patients, survivors, and their families will receive integrative medical care before, during, and after cancer treatment by a constellation of cancer support organizations all in one location.
- In partnership with our region’s foremost cancer centers, we will lead the cutting-edge research needed to revolutionize cancer care for everyone. It is part of our region’s DNA to explore, innovate, and improve—and our work is at the heart of that culture. Through ground-breaking research and collaboration, we can work to transform the cancer experience forever.
- The Talaris property itself will play a role in healing. Scientific evidence demonstrates that exposure to tranquil, natural settings like the Talaris property increases the natural killer cells in the immune system.
- Neighbors will gain new value by having access to classes and programming that will be open to all.
BRINGING THE VISION TO LIFE
With enthusiastic support from the Laurelhurst neighborhood, we are raising seed money to allow us to develop the business and campaign plan to purchase the Talaris property and establish Orion Center for Integrative Medicine. We are committed to maintaining this property as a historic Seattle landmark, limiting updates to inside the modernist buildings that were originally intended for seminars, workshops, and as an advanced study center.
Our work will, in essence, continue the original mission of the property. Together, we have the potential to transform the cancer experience forever and save more lives. In establishing this new center, we will create a home for new research and innovation. A home for healing. And a home for hope. Please join us.
Please contact us to contribute or get involved in bringing this vision to life.
Bonnie McGregor, Ph.D.
Executive Director & Founder, Orion Center for Integrative Medicine
4000 NE 41st Street, Building G, Suite 208, Seattle, WA. 98105
Email: email@example.com Phone: 206.525.0414
HELP US PRESERVE THE TALARIS CAMPUS & CREATE A WORLD CLASS CENTER FOR INTEGRATIVE MEDICINE.
PLEASE CONSIDER MAKING A DONATION TODAY!